Administrative Assistant - WGVU
Job no: 493938
Position type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Public Broadcasting
JOB SUMMARY: Acts as a general assistant to WGVU management, performing non-routine office functions which substantially contribute to the objectives of WGVU Public Media.
MISSION: Connecting with communities using the strengths of public media to educate, inform, inspire and entertain.
VISION: WGVU's vision is for an improved quality of life for all members of the community through access to high-quality cultural, educational and entertaining content built upon authentic relationships, recognizing our true strength lies in our ability to work together.
EXCELLENCE: We strive for excellence in everything we do. Excellence is not a destination, but a purposeful and continuous process.
INTEGRITY: As stewards of public trust, we are committed to being engaged, credible, independent, nonpartisan, balanced, authentic, and courageous.
INCLUSIVITY: We foster a welcoming environment allowing individuals the space to authentically be themselves. Representation matters, and we consistently work alongside our community to provide accessible and innovative content.
CURIOSITY: Listening and learning drive creativity - we nurture life-long learning, growth, and innovation by being a window to the world's possibilities.
RESPECT: We are a catalyst for civil discourse, treating all people with respect, dignity and compassion to build a stronger society.
- Assist General Manager in carrying out the office operation responsibilities.
- Responsible for specific projects/programs conducted by the unit whether self-initiated or initiated by management which may involve planning and coordinating work, analyzing data, preparing reports, making recommendations and other duties associated with the successful completion of a project/program including legal and regulatory filings and reports for the FCC, CPB, PBS, and NPR.
- Performs administrative work of a confidential nature for management.
- Compiles and logically formats statistical data and reports.
- Maintains, processes and manipulates data on a personal computer using word processing, data base and spreadsheet software.
- Works independently and with other staff members to plan and execute various events, including special events and functions.
- Edits correspondence, reports and materials for publication.
- Develops, prepares, and/or composes responses and correspondence requiring research, judgment and discretion; routinely writes, edits, and submits materials for internal/external communications.
- Conducts on a recurring basis self-initiated or unit head initiated projects and prepares reports.
- Assists staff with administrative problems or concerns.
- Coordinates employment and student employment search processes.
- Acts as a liaison for the division in situations outlined by the General Manager.
- Responsible for scheduling appointments for management such as calendars, special events, and divisional events.
- Compile data and materials for presentations and proposals.
- Supervises student employees.
- Process various university forms.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills.
- Experience with various computer software applications such as Microsoft Office and/or equivalent. (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Teams)
- Typing and spelling competency with grammar and proofreading skills.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully coordinate large projects.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully navigate challenging situations in the workplace, while using good judgement.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience in media organization.
- Experience with Banner, Onbase, Concur
- Supervisory experience.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility
Hire, train, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
SALARY: C-5 Level. Minimum starting salary of $22.15
CAMPUS: Grand Rapids
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 26, 2022
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select “Apply now”. Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, please call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
JOB TYPE: Full-time, Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine requirement that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend