Benefits Manager - Human Resources
Job no: 494251
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Human Resources
- Responsible for planning, developing and redesigning benefits. Complete benefits surveys and review information obtained from the results. Analyze complex benefits information. Forecast trends and assist with future benefits designs. Develop specific recommendations for further review.
- Responsible for the administration of GVSU benefit programs with regard to interpreting policy features, enrollment management and other requirements. Coordinate and disseminate information that requires explanation and interpretation of established university and departmental policies and direct individuals to sources of additional information. This includes fielding and answering various questions (e-mail, phone, in-person) in regards to human resources new hire information and benefits and resolution of complex member claims issues.
- Work with the Budget Office and Senior Management Team (executive staff) in annual budget planning for University benefits.
- Ensures benefit plan compliance with federal and state laws, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers' compensation, Medicare, OBRA, HIPPA and Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes. Audit the accuracy and performance of functions performed by benefits staff.
- Develop communication tools to enhance understanding of the university’s benefits package. Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations, open enrollment and summary plan descriptions.
- Take a leadership role in the Michigan University Coalition on Health, Inc.
- Acts as a benefits and systems expert for HR staff and special projects.
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators.
- Participate in the hiring process and trains and supervises the day to day activities of the Benefits staff.
- Prepare, collect and organize census data for the hourly pension plans actuarial valuations.
- Assist employees in the defined benefit retirement plan with pension estimates, process pension applications, pension related paperwork, and act as a liaison between plan participants, the plan actuaries, and the plan trustee.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration or a minimum of five years of related work experience and/or relevant training
- Experience working under pressure and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Team player with genuine commitment to working in partnership and collaboratively with colleagues
- Proven ability to maintain discretion in confidential situations
- Strong customer service skills
- Extensive knowledge of benefits programs, policies, procedures and applicable legislation
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using various computer software applications (Microsoft Office and payroll/benefit systems)
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- Strong quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Additional Human Resource designations
- Experience in higher education
- Human Resources/Benefits experience
- Experience using Human Resources/Benefits information systems (Banner Preferred)
- Experience using various reporting software (Argos Preferred)
Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Human Resources / Finance and Administration
HOW TO APPLY: Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend