TRIO Advisor (TPSSS Program)
Job no: 494342
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: TRIO Programs
This is a 12-month full-time grant-funded position. The individual will assist in identifying, recruiting, and selecting of program participants. Assist the TRIO TPSSS Director with all projects as identified and serve as a supplemental advisor to TPSSS participants.
- Assist in identifying, recruiting and selection of program participants
- Assist the TRIO TPSSS Director with all projects as identified
- Serve as a supplemental advisor to TPSSS participants
- Assist with developing, coordinating, and supervising workshops and programs to provide services to the TPSSS participants
- Supervise and work with peer mentors in support of the participants
- Serve on committees as assigned by the TRIO TPSSS Director
- Plan cultural and educational enrichment activities
- Assist in the training of student employees and supervise them on cultural event trips, at workshops, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Baccalaureate degree in Education, Teaching, Public Administration, or a human service related field
- One year experience providing services which may include some or all of the following: academic advising, career and finance advising to underrepresented populations, and program planning
- Demonstrated organization, interpersonal, customer service, time management, and communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of, and preference for, collaborative approaches to planning and problem solving
- Computer skills, including word desktop publishing, Microsoft Office, and database manipulation
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Demonstrated innovative and independent decision making
- Willing to travel to other campuses/locations (e.g. Allendale Campus, GRPS, community partners, etc.)
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in Education, Teaching, Public Administration, or a human service related field
- Applicants who have overcome barriers similar to those confronting TRIO TPSSS students
- Experience working in a college setting support program with at-risk students
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Trio/Enrollment Development and Educational Outreach
Campus: Grand Rapids
How to Apply: Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, please call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin August 8, 2022 after which the posting will close August 12, 2022.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend