Graduate Education Program Specialist
Job no: 494498
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Education and Community Innovation
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with various constituents with a commitment to customer service
- Experience in working with diverse populations in educational settings
- Competence with technology
- Effective communication, organizational, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solver with excellent critical thinking skills and an ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Knowledge of Michigan Department of Education teacher certification criteria
- Demonstrated success in student recruitment, retention, and program development
- Experience in higher education
- Experience in data management and reporting
- Experience with web-based records, registration and student information systems
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
Graduate Education Program Support
- Collaborate with the university Office of Admissions, the Graduate School, Registrar’s Office, and graduate Education program faculty to support graduate Education program applicants and program faculty with application, admission, registration, and degree completion requirements
- Process completed applications for graduate Education program applications using GVSU Office of Admissions systems
- Coordinate, implement, and support graduate Education student retention initiatives
- Serve as a liaison between the Office of Certification and Accreditation, and the Offices of Admissions, Registrar, Institutional Analysis, Institutional Marketing, and The Graduate School regarding enrollment, data collection and maintenance, and reporting
- Support cohort program enrollment and registration
- Collaborate with graduate faculty advisors to support and provide clarification to graduate Education students regarding course selection options within planned programs
- Collaborate with Education graduate program directors to update and maintain academic planned programs
- Support graduate faculty advisors and students in navigating and interpreting university and graduate school, policies and procedures
Post-Bachelor’s Pathways to Initial Certification
- Partner with ISDs and school districts to recruit and support para-professional to initial certification pathway partnerships and other PK-12 initial certification partnerships.
- Support and advise prospective students interested in initial elementary or secondary teacher certification through hosting small group information sessions, and one-on-one advising meetings.
- Develop systems to maintain records of prospective post-bac initial certification cohorts.
- Collaborate with program directors and faculty to facilitate post-bac initial certification cohort new student orientation.
- Collaborate with academic departments to prepare academic schedule for post-bac initial certification cohort program.
- Oversee registration process for post-bac program cohort courses.
- Collaborate with Certification Officer to ensure final certification requirements are communicated with cohort students and successfully complete.
- Serve as back-up for processing graduate registration override requests
- Serve as a back-up for processing graduate practicum, project and thesis applications and registration approvals
- Occasional evening and/or weekend travel required
- Other related duties as assigned
Non-Essential Functions: Non-Essential functions are functions not mandatory to the existence of the job.
Salary: $43,000 - $46,000
Department/Division: Office of Certification and Accreditation, College of Education and Community Innovation, Academic & Student Affairs
Campus: Pew Campus, Grand Rapids, MI
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter addressing qualifications, resume, the names of three references with contact information, and a copy of transcripts. The online application system will allow candidates to electronically attach these documents. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. Additional information about GVSU is available on our website at www.gvsu.edu
Application Deadline: Please submit by November 28, 2022, to ensure full consideration. The position may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend