Admissions Recruiter / Financial Aid Counselor - Admissions Office
Job no: 494679
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Admissions/Financial Aid
Work as part of the Admissions and Recruitment and Financial Aid & Scholarships teams to provide student focused service regarding financial aid programs, the admissions process, educational funding options, and the financial aid application process. The candidate will commit to the mission, values, and goals of the university, including the desire to seek, welcome, and work with a diverse group of students, faculty and staff, expected. Hours are Monday through Friday 8am until 5pm. Evening and Saturday work will also be required throughout the year. Candidate will share time working in both the Admissions and Recruitment Office and the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships and report to supervisors in each of the two offices.
- Represent Grand Valley State University both on and off-campus to prospective students, parents, secondary school counselors, and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process
- Counsel prospective applicants on the admissions process and opportunities at the University
- Provide student-focused service and guidance regarding financial aid programs, educational funding options and the financial aid application process
- Understand and implement aid eligibility and awarding policies and procedures
- Admissions and financial aid counseling to diverse populations is an important responsibility in this position
- Counseling occurs primarily by in-person appointments, small group presentations, phone calls, and emails
- Review materials submitted by applicants for the purposes of making admission decisions
- Perform other duties as required/assigned by manager
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Evening and weekend hours required, especially during the fall travel season
- Strong cross-cultural interpersonal and writing skills are necessary, including public speaking skills and the ability to represent the University in a positive way to diverse populations
- Must be committed to GVSU’s vision of inclusion and equity
- College/university admissions and/or financial aid experience or experience working with middle school or high school audiences preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
- Monday through Friday, with evening and weekend work required throughout the year
- Occasional travel
- This role is primarily in-person with occasional remote work opportunity
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
Department/Division: Admissions and Recruitment Office and the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select “Apply now”. Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, please call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately, and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the university.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend