Program Specialist - TRIO Veterans Upward Bound
Job no: 494790
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Enrollment Development & Educational Outreach
This grant-funded role is responsible for organizing the operation of program completion for veterans, as it relates to college/career readiness and preparation. The Specialist will lead participant engagement with the resources and services provided by the department, through advising, referrals to student support services and veterans services, as well as offering virtual and in-person learning opportunities.
- Design and implementation of student assessment, evaluation, and learning programs that prepare veterans for program completion and success.
- Provide academic advising to participants, as well as referrals to student-veterans services.
- Recruit, retain, and provide services for program participants from seven counties.
- Conduct Needs Assessments for all new participants in collaboration with other program staff and develop an individualized success plan for each participant.
- Assist in the development and implementation of procedures and services which promote academic development and postsecondary enrollment of participating students.
- Develop/conduct individual services and group workshops/activities for participants focused on preparation for postsecondary education.
- Provide direct support to veteran participants through career guidance, college admissions and financial aid application assistance, and connections with other resources for veterans.
- Maintain documentation of participant attendance, services provided, and program procedures by using StudentAccess and other documentation systems.
- Prepare and document accurate evaluation of student progress for all program participants each semester to be added to the student's individualized success plan.
- Assist Director in ensuring achievement of program objectives and the recruitment of 125 participants. This includes holding a valid driver's license and ability to drive up to 150 miles.
- Engage with TRIO staff members to provide formative assessment and continuous improvement of program delivery.
- Strengthen current relationships and develop new relationships with other veteran-serving organizations of the community to promote participation in the program, academic success, and postsecondary enrollment of participants.
- Ensure visibility of program in target area by developing and distributing informational materials and assisting Director with making presentations to various veteran-serving and other local organizations.
- Serve as a representative of Veterans Upward Bound to internal and external constituencies.
- Participate in institutional, state, regional, and national higher education and TRIO organizations, conferences, and trainings.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, social work, teaching, career services, or related field.
- Three years of experience supporting postsecondary education and/or career initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in two of the following areas: veteran college or career readiness, continuing education workshops, advising, or event-function creation, centered around learning and skill development. Military service or familiarity with military community preferred.
Normal in-person office environment. Some evening hours and travel will be required.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: TRIO Veterans Upward Bound/Enrollment Development and Educational Outreach
CAMPUS: Grand Rapids, MI
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Click "Apply to this Posting.” Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
DEADLINE: Consideration of applications will begin on June 5, 2023 and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend